What is Maxim® 480FS?
More comprehensive labelling has been obtained for Maxim® 480FS in the Netherlands (other countries will follow in the course of 2019). This improved labelling coincides with the extremely limited availability of seed treatment solutions for vegetable seeds.
Maxim® 480FS contains 480 grams fludioxonil per litre and is dosed at 1 ml/kg seed.
What does Maxim® 480FS do?
The active ingredient is effective against many seed and soil-borne fungi. The vegetable seeds and seedlings are particularly protected against Alternaria spp, Botrytis Allii, Colletotrichum spp, Didymella spp, Fusarium spp, Phoma spp and Rhizoctonia rot. From experience in agricultural crops, however, we know that this active ingredient is also effective against many other fungi.
Maxim® 480FS is allowed to be used on seeds for the crops listed adjacent.
Maxim® 480FS - Chemodynamics in seed
● Penetrates the seed to combat deep pathogenic infections (seed-borne).
● Is systemic and spreads with the cotyledons to combat the fungi in the soil.
● Protects the inside and vicinity of the seed.
Fludioxonil - History of the active ingredient
● Phenylpyrroles were discovered by assessing the natural compound pyrrolnitrin (produced by the soil-borne bacterium Pseudomonas pyrrocinia)
● The first use of a pyrrolnitrine analogue in crop protection was described in a Japanese patent in 1969
● In the 1970s, Ciba were the first to obtain approval for its use in greenhouses to control a range of plant-pathogenic fungi, such as Botrytis spp.
Fludioxonil - Active ingredient
Fludioxonil blocks the protein kinase, which accelerates the phosphorylation of a regular enzyme of glycerolsynthesis and causes the fungus cell to die off by interfering with the:
● water uptake of the cell
● cell membrane transport process
● cell wall synthesis
This inhibits spore germination and growth of germ tubes and mycelia – the two most sensitive development stages of pathogens – before penetration of the plant tissue
Maxim® 480FS - product profile
● penetrates the seed to combat important seed-borne diseases (Alternaria spp., Phoma spp., Didymella spp., Collectotrichum spp., Fusarium spp., Botrytis spp., etc.);
● provides control for early infection by soil-borne diseases (Rhizoctonia spp., Fusarium spp., etc.);
● safe for seeds, positive effect on germination capacity and plant vigour;
● suitable for use as mixing partner with other seed treatments;
● low dose: less product required and less product in the environment;
● favourable tox and eco-tox...
- Fludioxnil penetrates through the skin of the seed to combat pathogenic (seed-borne) infections.
- It spreads with the cotyledons to control soil-borne inoculum to a certain extent.